Friday 12 October 2012

All mapped out


As I've mentioned before, my Year 6 Spaniards (who are now in their fourth year of Spanish) are studying "En mi pueblo".  They have learned the names of lots of places in town, practised using hay and no hay and experimented with the connectives pero, también and sin embargo.  I was looking for something that would enable them to show off their writing skills while allowing them to practise their dictionary skills and, of course, do something artistic.

It's a bit difficult to explain how to do the folding, and I'm not sure my usual set of photographs would be enough, so I've dusted off my Flip camera and made a video.  Those who know me will laugh heartily as for some reason I sound like an extra from Alvin and the Chipmunks:


Year 6 enjoyed doing their maps.  They got to know the vocabulary better and enjoyed finding out new places in the dictionary.  Drawing a map was interesting from a spatial awareness point of view and looking at things from a bird's eye view.

If you would like to see Year 6's work, you can look at the video compilation on our school blog.

Some of the girls transformed the outside of their map into the outside of a house.  They said that the map was what they could see outside the house.  Using their idea, you could use this for House and Home as well, and draw a plan of a house inside instead of the plan of a town.

No comments:

Post a Comment